Every person owning cattle or deer must register those animals as a herd with the Animal Health Board. Even if you only have one animal, it is considered a herd and must be registered as such*.
Please keep your herd details up-to-date and advise the Animal Health Board if you buy, sell or move your herd.
*The exception is stock run in conjunction with an already established herd, or on an established unit of the same species. These will not require their own Herd ID. In this situation the established AHB herd ID is to be used for any stock present on farm. For example, a lower order sharemilker rearing calves on an established dairy unit will just run their stock under the dairy herd AHB ID.
How to register your herd:
- Register your new herd using our online service below, or
- Download a New Herd Registration form, complete and fax to the Animal Health Board contact centre on 0800 482 329 or email to email@example.com
- Call the Animal Health Board contact centre on 0800 4 TB INFO (0800 4 824 636)
Use the New Herd Registration form if you are:
- New to farming and don't have a herd number
- Already registered with the AHB but wish to register a new herd on a new property
- Already registered with the AHB but wish to register a new herd species (e.g. you have a cattle herd already registered and wish to register a new deer herd)
- A lifestyler or landowner with cattle or deer on your property not registered with the AHB.
Use the Update your details form if you are already registered with the Animal Health Board and wish to update existing details.
For practical tips on handling cattle, please read the ACC booklet Handling cattle safely.